Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:26:56 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "steve@piperscreek.com" <piper@binary.net>
Cc:        BSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installation partition problem (hope this is formatted ok)

On Monday, 13 September 1999 at  9:40:26 -0500, steve@piperscreek.com wrote:
> hi.. sorry about the other attempts and the bad formatting
> TRY #2?
>
> Hi... am still trying to install 3.2 on my computer.
> Partitioned 800MB using Partition Magic - Primary partition.
> I got to the place in the book where it uses the fdisk type program to set
> aside something for freebsd.  Before the create command it looked like:
>
> Offset     Size      End     Name      Ptype   Desc Subtype    Flags
> 0          63        62      -         6       unused   0
> 63         9606807   9606869  wd0s1     2       fat      6
> 9606878    1638630   11205499 wd0s2     1      unknown   22
> 11245500   9828      11255327  -        6      unused      0
>
> create suggest 9828 blocks <enter>
> type of partition 165 <enter>
> makes a wd0s3 freebsd but a size of zero !!!  Huh?
> then the last line just shows the unused stuff again.
> Why doesn't it allot the amount suggested?  Did I mess something up with
> partition magic?

The 9828 blocks at the end are left over because of the way the
Microsoft partitioning scheme works.  I'm guessing that fdisk takes
your input, first allocates the 9828 blocks and then trims of the
leftovers--you guessed it: 9828 blocks, leaving nothing.

The 800 MB partition is probably wd0s2.  You've given it a type 22,
which neither fdisk nor I recognize.  The only other partition is a
4.7 GB Microsoft FAT partition.  If you're *sure* that this is the
partition, you can delete it in fdisk and then create a FreeBSD slice.
Depending on your BIOS, you may find it impossible to boot from this
slice, however.  The best thing is to try it.

Greg