Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 19:17:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jlemon@americantv.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA Questions

> > "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> > > I finally got purchase authority to build the ultimate spam box from
> > > hell - two IDE HDs, an IDE CDROM drive, a SCSI HD and CDROM drive, all
> > > in the same box.  I'm going to load DOS and Win95 on different drives
> >
> > Build?  Just go and buy a Packard Bell computer.  That should give you a
> > pretty good start.  :-)
>
> I thought of that, but I wanted something even funkier.  Something
> which personified the very worst of every box I've seen paraded
> through this group.  Packard Bell comes amazingly close to this in an
> out-of-box configuration, I'll agree, but in the end they just weren't
> quite Funky Enough. :-)

A couple of ideas:

First see to it that the two IDE HD's are of different make, that should
get you a good deal of exitement. Eg Quantum & WD or WD & Maxtor or
WD & Seagate could give you some interesting funkiness, If you can get
hold of a Conner drive, the make of the other doesn't matter, you'll
have all the fun anyways), get a Promise or better a HongKong clone
of a IDE cache controller, and then a Sanyo 3 disk ATAPI cdrom.
Then a Elcheapo MAD or OPTI based soundcard, and a LPT port that
only can be set at the lpt3 (0x3bc) address, together with an early
Matrox MGA videocard.

This should supply you all the fun you can bare for the foreseeable
future...

Im not to be held responsible for any harm done by you when trying
to get this BOFH to work..,..

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..