Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:19:41 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        David Abdemoulaie <raven@dabdemou.campus.vt.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error using extended dos partitions

David Abdemoulaie wrote:

> Hi,
> I am having trouble using my Extended DOS partitions with FreeBSD 2.2.8 I
> read in the back of the little book that came with it how to do it by
> typing "mount -t msdos <device here> <mountpoint>". I'm positive I'm
> putting in the appropriate values, but just to make sure I've tried every
> single one. Every time I try to mount it I get the following message.
> msdos: /dev/wd0s2

Logical drives in extended partitions start at slice 5. wd0s2 will be
the extended partition itself, but although it is assigned a device you
can't do anything with it.

The first logical drive in your extended partition will be wd0s5, the
second wd0s6 etc. You may have to MAKEDEV the device nodes.

HTH.

> Jan 24 03:32:37 dabdemou /kernel: mountmsdosfs(): bad bpb
> Jan 24 03:32:37 dabdemou /kernel: mountmsdosfs(): bad bpb
>
> I've tried using every device in the /dev folder just in case I'm wrong
> about which one it should be.. and still no luck. I know that there isn't
> anything wrong with them because they both appear fine in Windows 98. Oh,
> they are both FAT32 extended dos partitions, in case that makes any
> difference. Thank you for your time.
>
> David Abdemoulaie

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.