Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 17:24:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail: mail loops back to myself

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, -Vince- wrote:
>
> > majordomo runned mailing lists, like for some reason a digest goes out on
> > 1/9/96 at 00:06 -800 PST so it bounces back to the list but it looks like
>
> 	a digest should never bounce back to the list.  all mail from
> majordomo should bounce to either the postmaster or majordomo-owner or
> the list owner.  your outbound headers are incorrect.

	I know I have this correct since this was the setup given to me
by Paul Close and Brent Chapman.  It's just this one site uses the Reply-To:
line for the address instead of the sender or path lines and bounces it
back as apollo.COSC.GOV!gus-general-digest

> > it was the original digest headers since the From: and To: line didn't
> > change.  The problem is that even after removing the person(s) with the
> > bouncing problem, it seems their system is resending the same bounce over
> > and over to the lists, is there a way to completely filter out any
>
> 	yes, all incoming messages go to either majordomo or resend.  i
> have patches for both.
>
> resend:  after line 226
>                     if ( /^from:\s*(.+)/i )
>                     {
>                         $from = $1;
>                         $from_last = 1;
>                         if ( ( $1 =~ /first bozo/i )
>                         ||   ( $1 =~ /repeat as required/i ) ) {
>                                &bounce("Kill Filter");
>                         }
>                     }
>                     elsif ( defined($from_last) )
>
> majordomo: after line 100
> # reject mail form this address
> # replace this with a generic facility
>         if ($[ <= index($hdrs{'from'}, 'first bozo')
>         ||  $[ <= index($hdrs{'from'}, 'repeat for each bozo') ) {
>                 &sendmail(TWIT, "postmaster", "$hdrs{'from'}");
>                 print TWIT "major polluter stopped\n";
>                 print TWIT "No action is required on your part.\n";
>                 close(TWIT);
>                 exit 0;
>         }

	Hmmm, Thanks!

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin - http://www.COSC.GOV/~vince
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan/Priscilla Chan Fan Club
Mailing Lists Admin