Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:32:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        hsengyip@singnet.com.sg
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding IP Addresses to FreeBSD

Ho Seng Yip wrote,
> Hi,
>
> I am currently running FreeBSD 3.1 and will like to know how I can add
> additional IP addresses other than the main one the machine is allocated.
> The additional IP addresses will be used to support virtual hosting.
>
> What files do I have to edit ?
>
> Thanks.

To get it to work NOW, no editing. Just,

# ifconfig interface inet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd netmask eee.fff.ggg.hhh alias

Where 'interface' is the name of your network interface and the IP
addresses are whatever you are adding.

To make it 'stick' if someday, you need to reboot, add to
/etc/rc.conf,

ifconfig_interface_alias0="inet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd netmask eee.fff.ggg.hhh"

Where the arguments are the same as before.