Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:28:40 -0700
From:      Jamie Lawrence <jal@ThirdAge.com>
To:        njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart), jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Secure Ping 1.0]

At 09:19 PM 6/11/98 +0100, Niall Smart wrote:

>Well, this exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about, except I make it
>more flexible, for example it would nice to be able to specify "allow
>8 megabytes outgoing traffic per day,  a peak of 4 megabytes per hour,
>and a limit of 2 megabytes per day to any given host except xyz.com".

I don't think it would do much of anything to curb nasty practices
on the net, except for limiting the relatively unsophisticated types
who, say, use flood.c against spam sites and quake servers.

Exactly the type of user I tend to use a rather more course grained
resource limit on, and kick them off my system.

These limits will probably only annoy legitimate users and make
the weasels use more source routed attacks, WinGate style attacks,
etc.

-j