Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:35:16 +0200
From:      Francois Pottier <Francois.Pottier@inria.fr>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Francois Pottier <fpottier@pauillac.inria.fr>
Subject:   Problem with aic7xxx driver and Nomai drive

Hi,

[I have just subscribed to the list and haven't received a confirmation
message yet -- can you please cc: any replies to me?]

I would like to report a problem with the aic7xxx driver and my Nomai
MCD 540I cartridge drive.

My setup used to work fine under RedHat 4.2, so I believe there are no
hardware problems. I recently upgraded to RedHat 5.1. Since upgrading,
the machine still works fine when the cartridge drive is turned off,
but it no longer boots when it is turned on: the scsi driver goes into
an infinite loop of error messages.

Here is some information about my current setup, obtained by booting
with the Nomai drive switched off. The system itself is a vanilla
RedHat 5.1 install.

$ cat /proc/scsiċic7xxx/0
Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.0.13/3.2.4
Compile Options:
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 15
  AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING: Adapter Support Enabled
                             Check below to see which
                             devices use tagged queueing
  AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE    : Enabled (This is no longer an option)
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Disabled

Adapter Configuration:
           SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter
                           Wide Controller
    PCI MMAPed IĜ Base: 0xfa000000
      Adaptec SCSI BIOS: Enabled
                    IRQ: 11
                   SCBs: Active 0, Max Active 1,
                         Allocated 30, HW 16, Page 255
             Interrupts: 4133
      BIOS Control Word: 0x18b6
   Adapter Control Word: 0x005c
   Extended Translation: Enabled
         SCSI Bus Reset: Enabled
Disconnect Enable Flags: 0xffff
 Tag Queue Enable Flags: 0x0000
Ordered Queue Tag Flags: 0x0000
Default Tag Queue Depth: 8
    Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255}
    Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}

$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: FIREBALL_TM3200S Rev: 300X
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TOSHIBA  Model: CD-ROM XM-5701TA Rev: 0167
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I have tried obtaining more precise information about the problem by
adding the following options to /etc/conf.modules:

  options scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx='verbose.panic_on_abort'

However, this line seems to be ignored, and the driver still goes into
an infinite loop, making it difficult to write down the error messages.
Can you explain how to pass options to the aic7xxx module?

Any help would be appreciated. Upgrading to a newer driver which fixes
the problem would be nice, but I would not mind reverting to the older
driver found in RedHat 4.2, if you think it is possible.

Thanks!

--
François Pottier
Francois.Pottier@inria.fr