Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:18:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more amd hangs: problem really in syslog?

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Comment the whole thing out, kill -HUP the syslogd (or kill and restart
>     it), and see if amd still locks up.

	Ok, now I think I get it. You want me to enable syslog'ing in amd,
then do what you're talking about here. I will try this first thing
tomorrow morning. We're about to put the box into production to make sure
that the bug is really licked, then I'm about to go home. :)  We have
multiple machines in this configuration, so taking this one down tomorrow
should be no problem.

>  If it does not, add the file lines
>     (/var/*) back in, restart, and see if amd locks up.  If it does not,
>     add the /dev/console line back in, restart, and see if amd locks up.
>     If it does not, add the "root" and "*" entries back in and see if amd
>     locks up.  And so forth.

	Gotcha.

>     We may find that there is something inherently broken with syslogd
>     that is causing the lockup even with all entries commented out, or
>     we may well find that it is a certain line, such as the /dev/console,
>     root, or "*" line for emergency messages that is causing amd to lockup.

	I think that Mike Smith is on the right track in suspecting that
the serial console is involved (due to the siobi state that amd was
hanging in). However, which line of the syslog.conf that was causing that
is a darn good question, given that none of them *should* have been
involved.

Thanks for all the great suggestions,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter