Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:07:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        "Nut S." <nutchai@hotaka.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't use Neomagic 256AV/ZX sound.

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Nut S. wrote:

> Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 01:44:27 +0900
> From: Nut S. <nutchai@hotaka.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Can't use Neomagic 256AV/ZX sound.
>
> I am trying to configure FreeBSD 4.6.2 to bring up my sound system in a
> notebook. First, I tried using kldload /modules/snd_neomagic.ko but then
> I don't know what to do later. I searched at lot on FreeBSD website and
> google without success about dynamic load. So I go re-compile the kernel.
>
> Before I made a compiling I did check "dmesg" and found no "pcm" string.
> Seems that the probe couldn't detect this sound chip as a pcm device.
> However, it detected and found

> chip1: <NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AX Audio controller> at device 0.1 on pci1
>
> I follow the guidance of sound manual on FreeBSD website. Using the
> GENERIC config file, copied it to MYKERNEL and did stuffs; conf
> MYKERNEL, make depend, make, make install... etc. I could do without
> error and reboot. Now I check again dmesg.

> pcm0: unable to map register space
> chip1: <NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AX Audio controller> at device 0.1 on pci1
>
> appear in dmesg.
>
> Please help me... please give me a suggestion how to deal with this
> problem...
>
> My system is...
> A notebook... Panasonic CF-M2
> PIII class CPU on 440BX chipset + Neomagic 256AV/ZX SVGA and sound

On my Thinkpad, which has the nearly identical Neo audio/video rig, I had
to boot it with a bot-floppy containing a utility from IBM to check and
set all device resources (DMA,IRQ, etc.) to disable the onboard modem
(which I don't use anyway). The way the Thinkpad is architected for wDOS
the modem and sound card were sharing an IRQ.

See if you can find such a utility for your laptop and check to see if
there's and heinous resource sharing that is causing your sound card to be
'hidden' behind another device.

/*
 * John Bleichert
 * syborg@stny.rr.com