Date:      Sat, 18 May 1996 07:53:51 -0500
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Who wants a DPT SCSI controller driver?

>A lot of people use the stuff on the FreeBSD lists as guidelines when
>they buy PCs for other uses.

There's a couple of fine web pages out there where you can gen up a quote
for a damn solid PC for FreeBSD, and I use them to come up with a first
cut for a PC for *anything*. When I recommend hardware components, I will
normaly just spec the same ones rgrimes did in the systems he built for us
for our Internet link.

The DPT driver problem has been a real problem for some time, by the way. I
ran into it several years back when we got a DPT controller for a System V
box and had to run it in MFM-emulation-mode because there was no driver, I
couldn't hook a tape drive to it at all, and we quickly sent it back and got
a WD7000 (I think... the box has long since been recycled to lower purposes
(running Widows for Workgroups) and there's a WD7000 card upstairs in the
morgue) which did have a driver.