Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:24:42 -0600
From:      "Joesh Juphland" <part_lion@hotmail.com>
To:        nsayer@quack.kfu.com, julian@elischer.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bridging with pcmcia cards

thank you - this was helpful.  One last question - when you say that
bridging cannot work with wi cards because they do not support promiscuous
transmission, this makes me wonder two things:

1. Do you mean the wi driver does not support this, or you mean the actual
physical card itself is limited in this way

2. I know that there are two major firmware differences between "old" lucent
cards and "new" lucent cards, and that is that the old ones can be
_actually_ set to SSID of "" and then pick up base station in range.  Is it
possible that (if the answer to #1 above is "it's a hardware problem") that
the old revision cards are better at this, or are they all like this ?

thanks a lot.  I was actually _only_ interested in just plain old options
BRIDGE bridging, and not being a virtual AP (so far).