Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:06:29 +1000
From:      Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org>
To:        Paul <paul@gtcomm.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd IP Forwarding  performance (question,	and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

The "em" driver currently only has a single worker/queue so will only
use one CPU to process packets.  However I remember reading that
multi-threaded version of the driver is being worked on and is "coming
soon", but there is no known ETA yet.

I see you mentioned that you played with the receive descriptors and set
that to 4096, which is good if your chipset supports it.

But I can't see that you mentioned playing around with
hw.em.rx_int_delay or tx_int_delay - have you tried this?  By default
rx_int_delay is disabled but it has the capability to lower CPU
consumption if you enable it and it works on your chipset.

By my reckoning, if you are aiming for a million pps, thats microsecond
per packet, so you can afford to increase the delay quite alot, try 50
or 100 or even more?

- Andrew