Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:20:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ia64/39415: Bootloader assuming 8KB buffer when only 4KB is allocated

The following reply was made to PR ia64/39415; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To: Espen Skoglund <esk@ira.uka.de>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:10:23 -0700

 On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 10:32:58PM +0200, Espen Skoglund wrote:

 > The AllocatePages() call in sys/boot/efi/libefi/elf_freebsd.c only
 > allocate one 4KB page.  The bi_load() in sys/boot/efi/libefi/bootinfo.c,
 > however, assumes that 8KB has been allocated when stashing the EFI memory
 > map behind the bootinfo.  This could lead to "interesting" behaviour
 > in certain (albeit probably unlikely) scenarios.

 Espen,

 It looks to me that rounding to a multiple of the EFI page size is
 more natural for an EFI application. I would probably fix bootinfo.c
 instead of elf_freebsd.c. A second reason for fixing bootinfo.c is
 that elf_freebsd.c works with arbitrary large bootinfo blocks, while
 bootinfo.c only works if the bootinfo block is smaller than 8KB.

 A second order fix would be to allocate enough; not just for the
 bootinfo blocks, but also for the memory map...

 Thoughts?