Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:48:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael Sharp" <ms@probsd.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   portsdb -Uu *  /usr/local/  permission denied error

I normally update my ports tree by running cvsup, portsdb -Uu, pkgdb -F,
then portversion |grep "<" .  I also have a jail that has its own ports
tree. On the host system, when running portsdb -Uu, I am getting the
following that I dont understand:

portsdb -Uu

Updating the ports index ... /usr/local: permission denied: malformed entry:
/usr/local: permission denied
"Makefile", line 30: warning: "/usr/local" returned non-zero status:
malformed entry:
"Makefile", line 30: warning: "/usr/local" returned non-zero status
/usr/local: permission denied: malformed entry: /usr/local: permission denied
"Makefile", line 30: warning: "/usr/local" returned non-zero status:
malformed entry:
"Makefile", line 30: warning: "/usr/local" returned non-zero status
/usr/local: permission denied: malformed entry: /usr/local: permission denied
"Makefile", line 33: warning: "/usr/local" returned non-zero status:
malformed entry:
"Makefile", line 33: warning: "/usr/local" returned non-zero status
/usr/local: permission denied: malformed entry: /usr/local: permission denied
"Makefile", line 32: warning: "/usr/local" returned non-zero status:
malformed entry:
"Makefile", line 32: warning: "/usr/local" returned non-zero status
/usr/local: permission denied: malformed entry: /usr/local: permission denied
"Makefile", line 30: warning: "/usr/local" returned non-zero status:
malformed entry:
"Makefile", line 30: warning: "/usr/local" returned non-zero status

However, portsdb -Uu does finish and shows any ports that need upgrading.
I thought this might just be a temporary issue with the ports tree, but
when I do this process in the jail, I dont get the above output.  Any
ideas?

michael