Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 1996 18:21:24 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possibly smoked my cvs tree :-(

> Mark Murray did suggest quite a few things, the most interesting
> being cvssup. However, this assumes I've got modula3 installed.

No, not really.  There are statically-linked FreeBSD executables
available from the CVSup distribution sites:

    ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/CVSup/
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/
    ftp://ftp.polstra.com/pub/FreeBSD/CVSup/     (slow; avoid if possible)

The file you want is "cvsup-bin-13.4.tar.gz".  It's about 1.1 MB.  You
don't need Modula-3 or anything else to run it.

> Over a dialup, downloading a 10MB+ tar.gz file is not fun.

I've been working on the Modula-3 port, and the package is "only"
about 5 MB now.  Also, the port now uses custom distfiles that are
much smaller than the files from DEC SRC.  If you build from sources
using the port, you have to download 3.3-4.5 MB of sources, depending
on what is already on your system.  (The port will use your existing
gcc-2.7.2.1 sources, if they're present on your system.)

If I were in your situation, personally, I'd start with the binaries.

> I want to know if it will work though - then I will do it.

It should work OK to recover your tree, with one important caveat.
If you have some "extra" files in your tree that should not be
there at all, CVSup won't remove them.  Like sup, it will only
remove a file that it created or that it otherwise "knows" about.
Files that have moved into or out of the Attic (the more common
case) will be handled OK.

Here's another possibility.  I have heard reports that "rsync" (see
"net/rsync" in the ports collection) works well for recovering a
severely damaged tree.  You might want to take a look at that.

Good luck fixing things up!

John