Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 09:38:20 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        john_wilson100@excite.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
Subject:   Re: VINUM PANIC ON -STABLE

On Saturday, 15 September 2001 at 12:26:10 -0700, john_wilson100@excite.com wrote:

> I posted a message to -hackers several days ago, complete with a
> kernel backtrace.

Well, not quite 42 hours.  That's not "several days" in my book.  You
also omitted a lot of other information I asked for.

> The panic is 100% reproducible on my machine running the latest
> -stable.
>
> Does anyone care?

Yes, I care.

> My message to Greg Lehey was rejected by his mail server,

Well, there's something that you can fix in the meantime :-)

> but I am pretty sure he reads both -hackers and -stable.

Correct.  I also have other things to do.  When you sent the
backtrace, I was away from home doing some training, and I didn't have
access to my machines.  I'll look at it, but it would be *really* nice
if you'd give me the info I ask for.

On Saturday, 15 September 2001 at 16:34:32 -0700, john_wilson100@excite.com wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 21:52:06 +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
>>  On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 12:26:10PM -0700, john_wilson100@excite.com wrote:
>>> I posted a message to -hackers several days ago, complete with a kernel
>>> backtrace.    The panic is 100% reproducible on my machine running the
>>> latest -stable.
>>
>>  I saw two unsualy points in your config.
>>  1. why use more than one vinum partition per physical drive?
>>     vinum itself handles it very well - it's a volume manager.
>
> If one gets corrupted (for whatever reason), the other one will keep going
> (assuming that one volume will not touch another's partitions)

The only time the driver can get "corrupted" is when writing the
configuration information.  By creating two drives per spindle, you
are doubling this likelihood.

>>  2. I don't think that a stripe size not matching n * page size is a
>>     good choice.
>>  Both points shouldn't crash your box but it's at least not very common.
>
> A stripe size that is a power of 2 will put all superblocks on the same
> subdisk.

Correct.  There's nothing wrong with your stripe size.  I suspect you
took it from one of the valid examples in the man page.

>>> Does anyone care?  My message to Greg Lehey was rejected by his
>>> mail server, but I am pretty sure he reads both -hackers and
>>> -stable.
>>
>>  There must be a reson to reject.
>
> Let's hear it.

You did.  It was in the reject message.  You apparently chose to
ignore it.  You've made me go and look in the logs:

Sep 14 10:58:46 wantadilla postfix/smtpd[17429]: reject: RCPT from ewey-rwcmta.excite.com[198.3.99.191]: 550 <john_wilson100@excite.com>: Sender address rejected: " Mail rejected.  See http://www.lemis.com/dontspam.html"; from=<john_wilson100@excite.com> to=<grog@lemis.com>

Do you understand now?

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.