Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 21:45:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert N Watson <rnw@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible security hole in 2.2 Release.

My 2.2.1 default dot.rhosts in /usr/share/skel reads as follows:

#       $Id: dot.rhosts,v 1.3 1996/09/21 21:35:47 wosch Exp $
#
# .rhosts - trusted remote host name and user data base
#
# see hosts.equiv(5), rsh(1), rlogin(1), rcp(1)
#
# This file should NOT be group or other readable.
# OtherMachine
# OtherMachine myFriend

This doesn't appear to include + +, which certainly would cause the
problem you identify :).  BTW, I've read that the "#" at the beginning of
the line is a bad idea, as you can pursuade a DNS server to pass back "#"
as your host name, and spoof your way in.  Do the r* service
authentication routines ignore # signs, really? :)

----
Robert Watson <rnw+@Andrew.cmu.edu>