Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:01:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
To:        toasty@dragondata.com (Kevin Day)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Idea: disposable memory

Lo and behold, Kevin Day once said:

> I don't think MADV_FREE is what I want, since it makes my memory go away
> very quickly, *and* I have no way of knowing that the kernel did it.

   You do have a way of knowing the kernel did it - your memory is
suddenly full of zeros.  You don't have an *asynchronous* way of knowing
that the kernel did it, however, which I believe is more what you're
aiming at.  (Something like a "SIG_I_STOLE_YOUR_MEMORY"), no?

  -Dave

--
work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com
      MIT LCS                                  http://www.angio.net/