Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:32:03 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

John Polstra wrote:
> Doug wrote:
> > John Polstra wrote:
> >>
> >> Are you sure?  If you simply don't run an identd, the queries will
> >> get an instant connection refused error.  That's even faster than
> >> sending back a bogus response.
> >
> >       Many daemons that request ident, and almost all IRC daemons
> > that I'm aware of don't take "NO" for an answer. They sit waiting
> > for a valid response, and timeout after X seconds, where X is c. 30
> > seconds.
>
> Really??  Even though their connect() call failed?  Ick!  I know
> sendmail doesn't behave that way.  I'll take your word about the IRC
> daemons -- I don't know anything about them.

No, they connect().  If it times out (eg: packet filter), it kicks you out.
If it gets through and the ident server doesn't respond within the 30
second timeout, it drops you again.  If it connects and gets a 'Warm-Fuzzy'
or an error of some sort, it drops you.  If it gets a non-UNIX username
response, it kicks you out.  Basically, to use a well connected irc server,
you *must* run an identd that returns a valid username response, and that
username is used in your conversations.  Some servers will let you on
without a fully functional identd, but in my experience they seem to be the
most unreliable as they are the most abused.

ISP's run identd on their shell servers.  That's so that when their servers
get banned from IRC, they can find out which of their shell users from their
shell users to have taken out and shot.

Cheers,
-Peter