Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:04:10 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Calvin Smith" <calvinsnet@attbi.com>
Cc:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with "make world"

> From: "Calvin Smith" <calvinsnet@attbi.com>
> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:57:07 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

It sounds reasonable, but it is not correct.

The only officially supported way to build a new kernel (per the core
team) is:
cd /usr/src
make [build|install]kernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_NAME

The "old" technique shown above usually works, but in some cases will
reliably fail. The recent update of the system mk files was an
example of this.

You cannot "make buildworld" without full sources, but this does not
apply to making the kernel. (Of course, you do need the kernel
sources.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)