Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 11:11:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gryphon@healer.com (Coranth Gryphon)
Cc:        gryphon@healer.com, patl@asimov.volant.org, terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jmb@kryten.atinc.com, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> > If it can find the dependancy.  And doesn't mistake something else for it.
> > Which basicly means it will work fine in the lab and fail miserably in the
> >real world.  I have yet to see an automatic editing system which was robust
>
> Anything which can figure out the correct number to use for the script
> name can figure out where to place itself in a file. If it can't, then
> it can't and the argument become moot.

Actually, the numbers are specified by the authors of the package.

Presumably, they had all the components they depneded upon installed
in order to do their developement and are aware of their own dependencies.

> For 99% of cases, just append to the file. You only need to "find the
> correct point" if you are inserting into the middle of a process chain.
> Which will probably be a very rare condition, unless you are replacing
> one startup command with another, in which case the position is
> already determined for you.

I want to replace the SMTP agent with my own.  What is the current
agent's name?  How did you determine this?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.