Date:      Sun, 18 May 1997 10:27:36 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de>
To:        sec@42.org (Stefan `Sec` Zehl)
Cc:        branson.matheson@ferginc.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS Stale File Handle.

It was Stefan `Sec` Zehl who wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 1997 at 10:53:40PM +0200, Branson Matheson wrote:
> >
> >  I have an NFS stale file handle on a box that was placed there by amd
> >  I believe. I cannot seem to get rid of it... any ideas? I was told
> >  that there may be a process still trying to access that unmounted
> >  partition... but I cannot find it ... I seem to remember another way
> >  to do this .. but cannot remember .. can anyone point me in the right
> >  direction?
>
> Hmm, i'm not sure about the "process that accesses it", but if it is
> indeed so, try "lsof" which will help you finding that process :) -
> otherwise you could try an umount -f (for forcible umount) which might
> help aswell

This can easily happen e.g. when you mount via NFS on system B a CD,
which is mounted on system A.
When you umount the CD on A you'll see the above error message on B.
The only 2 ways I found to resolve this situation (apart from
rebooting :-) were
to wait until amd releases all mounts that came after the mounted CD
   and then use `umount -f'
or to mount the very same CD on A again.

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)