Date:      Sat, 13 May 2006 08:10:24 +0100
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        Kobus de Wit <kobus@cits.com.na>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as Server

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 06:25:29AM +0300, Kobus de Wit wrote:
>    I have an email (EXIM mail) server in one of the internal networks
> and will have more shortly. The external public IP address of the mail
> server is on the same subnet as my FreeBSD server. I'm unsuccessfully
> trying to, within pf.conf (rdr), to forward traffic destined for the
> mail server to the mail server. My rdr entry within pf.conf is as
> follows:-
>    rdr on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $external_addr/32 port 25 ->
> 10.64.101.4 port 25. ($external_addr is defined earlier on in pf.conf.)
>
>    Am I missing some entries?

Well, the freebsd-pf mailing list is probably a better place to ask
pf-specific questions.

$external_addr needs to be configured as an IP alias on your freebsd box's
public-side NIC. Have you done this? Can you ping $external_addr from the
outside world?

What happens when you telnet to $external_addr port 25 from the outside
world? In particular, if you run tcpdump on the exim box while this happens,
what do you see? Use

  tcpdump -i fxp0 -n -s1500 'tcp port 25 or icmp'

Note that the exim box will need to point its defaultroute at the freebsd
box, otherwise the response packets won't be subject to NAT in the reverse
direction

>   Should I get my network provider to route traffic for the mail server
> to my FreeBSD server's IP address?

The question doesn't really make sense. It's nothing to do with your network
provider, unless you network provider manages your DNS for you. It's the MX
records for example.com which determine which machine gets contacted when
you try to send mail to foo@example.com

Brian.