Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:58:15 -0400
From:      Michael Sullivan <sullivanms@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   GELI tastes partitions before labels, prompts for passphrase for both

Hello,

I'm running 9.1-RC1.  I configured an encrypted root disk with GELI
using the GPT label ("gpt/zsystem0") rather than the partition name
("ada0p3").  Everything works fine, but as it boots, I'm prompted for
the passphrase for the partition and have to make that fail before I
get prompted for the passphrase for the label.  It's a minor annoyance
but might be worse on a server with many disks.  I've seen a few other
people mention this behavior but haven't seen anything to indicate
that anybody is working on it.  Is there a solution out there that I'm
not aware of?

My understanding of GEOM is rudimentary at this point, but poking
around in the code the only ideas I have are to create a blacklist of
providers (through a tunable string?) and check against it during
tasting; or something like adding a flag to the ELI metadata and, if
it's set, checking the provider's class and giving up if it's not a
label.  Do either of those approaches sound reasonable?

Thanks
Michael