Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 09:50:23 +0200
From:      Markus Holmberg <markush@acc.umu.se>
To:        Norbert Papke <npapke@acm.org>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Baffled: Linux JDK 1.3.0 Port

Norbert,

You are not the only one to experience this. I have also experienced
this (and found it very odd), but never got down to investigate closer.

For me, it's the same but reverse!

/tmp <- NoClassDefFoundError
/home <- works!

I suspect it is the Linux emulation behaving strange.

Regards, Markus.

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 04:39:01PM -0700, Norbert Papke wrote:
> I am running into some strange behavior with the Linux JDK 1.3.0 port.  I
> am really hoping that somebody could set me straight on what is going on.
>
> If a build a java app (even a simple "Hello world") and try to run it from
> my home directory I inevitably get the following error:
>
>    % java Hello
>    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Hello
>
> However, the exact same class file executed from /tmp works perfectly.
> To eliminate directory pathname lengths, I've tried the same in
> subdirectories under /tmp (several long names).  Still works.
>
> I've tried different user directories and I get the same error.
>
> I've set and unset CLASSPATH in I don't know how many different ways
> without any impact.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what may be going on?  I think I am losing my
> mind ...
>
> Not sure if this is important but I am running a very recent 4.3 Stable
> build.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Norbert Papke.
>    npapke@acm.org

Markus Holmberg         |       Give me Unix or give me a typewriter.
markush@acc.umu.se      |       http://www.freebsd.org/