Date:      Sun, 05 Jan 2003 12:32:45 -0800
From:      "Brett Glass" <brettglass@ml1.net>
To:        "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>, "Mike Jeays" <mj001@rogers.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

At 14:34 PM 1/5/2003, Brett Glass wrote:

>It matters in both cases. If "tactical" code is GPLed, you can't
>look at it or fix it, and the GPL will extinguish alternatives.

You can always implement a clean-room reverse engineered clone, no big
deal.

>I strongly disagree. The fact that SAMBA is GPLed prevents its use
>to develop competitive operating systems that interact well with
>Microsoft clients. Thus, SAMBA (perversely) preserves Microsoft's
>monopoly on commercial operating systems.

There's nothing Microsoft can do, except keep making subtle changes in
the CIFS protocol to break compatibility. FIWI, Samba can kiss my ass. If
your OS doesn't support NFS natively, it's not worth using.

>We recently needed to set up a file repository for a business, and
>because SAMBA is GPLed, we used WebDAV. We're very happy with that
>solution. And we can look at the code of mod_dav, because it's under
>a truly free license.

But because you're a professional programmer, like me, you can easily
hack a BSD lincensed SMB server in less than 30 minutes.

>There's a reason why Dawkins' book was called "The Selfish Gene." Alas,
>memes are even more selfish than genes.

That book is pure shit, but that's another story.

--Brett
--
  Brett Glass
  brettglass@ml1.net