Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:23:39 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 6.0 branching (no longer: HEADS UP: 5.0 Feature FreezeOctober 16,  2002)

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 11:40 PM -0700 10/11/02, Wes Peters wrote:
> >I think we need to discuss when we will branch 6.x.  I think we need
> >to wait until we have a 5.x release that is stable enough to consider
> >for production workstation usage levels, and hope we may reach that
> >point by the 5.2 release.
>
> It is good to explicitly say something about this topic now, so people
> don't think a 6.0-current branch is going to happen right away.
>
> [...]
>
> We should be clear that the criteria is "5.x is production quality",
> and not "when .x reaches .2".  At some point (which might be 5.1) it
> will probably be helpful to have an explicit list of what issues need
> to be fixed before we can make the new -current branch.

With Warner's excellent summation and this, it seems the developer corps
are pretty much prepared for this.  I just wanted to make sure this had
been discussed RECENTLY in public, so nobody is surprised when the 6.x
branch doesn't immediately pop up.

I agree it's a good idea for everyone to think about what their criteria
for "enough success" for 5.x is as well.  We've recently seen quite a bit
of discussion on several features that people want to get into 5.0, or
make default on 5.0, that may or may not be ready for prime time.  Making
these projects ready to be the default will be a big part of getting 5.x
to the point where 6.0 can be branched, I suspect.

Fortunately, this seems to have had the desired effect of creating a few
moments of introspection, where everyone contemplates what their criteria
for success are.  That's a good sign, I'm quite glad to be able to report
such success to the nay-sayers.