Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:14:13 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sigset_t changes committed

Doug wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>
>         Is there any way at all that we can change this process so that
> building the kernel first is not required?

IIRC, you can use -DNOTOOLS. In that case the current tools are assumed
to be sufficient for building world. But, you can't do an installworld
as part of that, because eventually the new binaries that are installed
get used by the install process (/bin/sh for example).

In short: you need a new kernel for the newly compiled binaries to run.

> Those of us involved in
> educating users about the make world process spend a lot of time telling
> them not to do this. It's amazing how long and how tenaciously "one-time"
> exceptions like this stick in their minds.

I understand, but the new syscalls simply need to be in the kernel
before you can run the binaries that use them. Using -DNOTOOLS you can
delay that moment until just before doing the installworld, but you
can't avoid it.

I hope and trust that users understand that this is an exception...

>         That said, I think that your commit messages were models of
> excellence, and this work looks like something that will benefit the
> project for a long time down the road.

Thanks!

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl