Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 1995 20:05:55 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer), jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX now available

> The gist of this is that he wants to work on putting simple linker code
> into the kernel, and I very much agree with him.

Assuming that you and the anti-bloatists can work this out, this and
everything following it certainly sounds reasonable to me.

	dev_add_char			(just dev_add?)
	dev_remove_char			(just dev_remove?)

I prefer the latter, more generic, versions.  If you're going to have
a nice standard API for talking to LKMs, you may as well try to make
as few assumptions about the kinds of data you'll be handing back
and forth as possible.

Uh, speaking of which..  How do LKMs and the kernel expect to talk
back and forth in general?  Is it like a roman orgy in there, where
LKMs and kernel share one, common global variable space and anybody
can fondle any variable they see, or.. ?  I guess I need to go UTSL,
don't I? :-)

Anyway, it certainly seems like you have a direction in mind.  How
would you see such a project being staffed and actually "managed" on a
day to day basis?  Clearly, there's a lot of work represented here
and it'd take some coordination to actually pull it off.

					Jordan