Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 08:26:02 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>
To:        Normand Leclerc <leclercn@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: natd blues

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 09:14:36AM -0400, Normand Leclerc wrote:
>      It looks like my natd is slowing down my cable internet transfers.
> When running, I can't get the speed I get when natd isn't around (tested
> downloading 20 megs with natd diverting packets from gateway and then
> tested with an extra ipfw pass all rule before divert).  With divert,
> ETA is around 30 mins, without: 8 mins!  And I tested it more than once.
>
>    I didn't have this kind of slowdown on 3.4 ...  Is there a kernel
> option that can slow down ipfw diverts like that?
>
> Normand Leclerc
> leclercn@videotron.ca

I have no such trouble with natd; I am running 4.2-STABLE from 3-4
months ago. My firewall is a P90 with two $15 NICs, 32M RAM.

Please post a complete listing of your ipfw ruleset, as well as the
arguments you use with natd. I would suspect a bad rule somewhere in
your chain rather than a problem with natd.

Also, please explain in detail how your network is configured. Describe
the client machine, the gateway, the cable modem, client IP address,
gateway IP address, and anything else that even seems *remotely*
relevant.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@usrlib.org