Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2012 02:04:33 -0700
From:      Stanislav Sedov <stas@freebsd.org>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org>, ruby@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ruby 1.9 as default

On Jun 5, 2012, at 1:52 AM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 08:25:08PM -0400, Steve Wills wrote:
>> On 06/01/12 22:30, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure it's a good idea.
>>> Ruby 1.9 still has some nasty bugs on FreeBSD, related to the threads and
>>> fork.  That is fork in ruby 1.9 hangs sometimes...
>>
>> The ONLY thing I can find is this:
>>
>> http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/2097
>>
>> which implies that it's fixed. If there's more to this issue than
>> "broken on 7.3 and earlier", PLEASE let me know.
>
> If ruby indeed does what the bugs described, that is, calls non-async
> signal safe functions from the threaded process after fork, then you
> are guaranteed to get random hangs sometimes.

Actually, the problem I'm trying to debug right now is more weird.
When I run mono via system(3) from the ruby 1.9 process (I mean,
exactly system(3), not via some ruby wrapper) twice, it hangs on some
umtx the second time.  This works all the time.

I'm still trying to track it down in mono, though it's not clear how
this can happen at all.  Isn't execve(2) used by system(3) is supposed
to clear everything (mutexes at least)?

Thanks!

--
ST4096-RIPE