Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:58:22 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11 programming...

Zach Heilig wrote:

> I know I should get a book, but I haven't figured out which of the available
> books are good.  Any hints here would be appreciated (cost isn't really a
> very big issue; <= US$500 would be great).

In that case, and if you're serious about programming X get O'Reilly's
series on teh subject. When I used to rpogram X (back in X11R3 days)
they were excellent. Take a look at:

http://www.ora.com/publishing/unix/products.htm

There's a series of about 9 books on the subject there. You can skip
volume 0 (unless you intent to write your own Xlib or XServer), volume 3
(if you know how to *use* X) and volume 8 (if you know how to install
and configure X and its options). The rest (i.e. 1,2,4,5 and 6A-C for
Motif) are all that you need to program X. You can probably get those
books at better prices in other places too.

> So, I thought I would see how far I could go just reading the man pages.
> Basically, I am just trying to get a window (white... or actually _any_
> background) up on the screen.  This is as far as I have gotten, but I just
> can't seem to get the window to display.  I don't get any compile errors or
> run-time errors (anymore :-), but still I get nothing.  I wonder what I am
> missing?

Probably an event loop. Try synching your application to see if that's
the problem (though you might be missing many more things, as showing up
a windows with Xlib is a long and painful process...)

    [code snipped]

> --
> Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com) | ALL unsolicited commercial email
> /var/spool/news is 110% full,             | is unwelcome.  I avoid dealing
> please delete all the spam you can.       | with companies that email ads.

Nadav