Date:      Fri, 19 May 2023 13:42:16 +0200
From:      Alex Samorukov <samm@freebsd.org>
To:        Jason Bacon <bacon4000@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox

> For lack of available info, I naively tried booting the aarch64 disc1
> ISO, which not surprisingly didn't work.  Not even sure if this is the
> right approach, but it seems like the intuitive one the the average
> VirtualBox user.  I think it would be ideal if the experience were the
> same as for x86.

Just try UTM :)

Again, VirtualBox is a road to nowhere - it emulates x86 on aarch. Of
course, performance will be terrible, as well as emulation quality. KVM
just works, and if you need UI - UTM works pretty well for me, at least.
And you will get near-native speed, as it is arm64 guest on arm64 host
which uses native macOS virtualisation framework.