Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 10:19:18 +0200
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@ida.interface-business.de>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikkot@pacbell.net>, freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun AXi boot success

As David O'Brien wrote:

(Booting from a SCSI controller that hasn't an Openboot PROM.)

> I have *never* seen this work on PCI-based Suns.  I have only ever been
> able to get SCSI controllers with OB FW to "probe-scsi-all" or to boot
> from them.
>
> Are you sure you've done this on PCI-based Suns?

Sure.  How would you expect me to try a Tekram controller in an
SBus-only Sun? :-)

As i said, i've at least seen it work on an U5/U10, though i can
remember that some OBP upgrade was needed due to some bug.  My first
test was one of the first of those U10 machines, and we supplied a
SCSI controller to a customer so he could connect his tape drive.
Thus booting off the card wasn't a requirement, and i only tried it
out ouf curiosity.  Now i remember again the bug, that old firmware
wasn't really able to boot off a CD-ROM, although probe-scsi-all could
see all the attached drives.

Later on i tried it again on an U5, where it worked flawlessly as
described.

In particular for machines like the AXi that have an onboard Symbios
Logic, i don't see why a plugged-in Symbios Logic card shouldn't work:
the onboard controller could only boot using the supplied OBP anyway,
so there's no reason why a plugged-in card should not work.

One thing though is that OBP (and Solaris, for that matter) only
support a small subset of the Symbios Logic chips, compared to our sym
driver.  The 53c875 belongs to it (and the '876 is just two '875s),
IMHO the 53c895, and probably one of the newer chips.  In particular,
the '810s are IMHO completely unsupported.

--
J"org Wunsch					       Unix support engineer
joerg_wunsch@interface-systems.de        http://www.interface-systems.de/~j/