Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2017 21:30:10 +0100
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
To:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   r312349 crashes: null filesizes: rescue with usb stick impossible due to lack of CC

FreeBSD crashes (r312349): during installworld and installkernel, the
running system crashed and left me with a nullyfied Samsung 850 PRO
SSD, means: almost every binary in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin has
filesize NULL, execpt /bin/sh. Booting is impossible.

Since it is unknown what the crash triggered - I just tried to rescue
my box from crashing by adding this faulty EARLY_AP_STARTUP option to
my customized kernel - I intend to rescue the system by installing the
binaries again via make installworld by using an USB image from the
FreeBSD site:

 FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20170105-r311461-memstick.img

Booting this USB image, mounting all of the filesystems of the SSD
of the trunkated system into /mnt
(/mnt/usr, /mnt/usr/local etc) execpt /usr/src and /usr/obj, which
Imount to the USB's /usr/src and /usr/ob, and then trying to perform the
installworld again via

cd /usr/src
make DESTDIR=3D/mnt  installkernel installworld

I fail: I'm bothered with the lack of a compilerand enforced to set
COM=C3=9CILER_TYPE, but this is useless, since this minimalistic and useless
provided USB (and CD image) does obviusly not contain any compiler.

So, I'm stranded!

I found several websites on which exact such a rescue procedure is
explained and I remember that I rescued the same way last year an
11-CURRENT system. At this moment, I can not fathom what kind of mind
is behind of the reduction of the images and extracting essential parts.

How am I supposed to rescue a system the way I try to? I have an
intact /usr/obj, /usr/src, I have this crap USB image wihich is
obviously incapable of performing such kind of rescue. The system in
question does not have a DVD or CD drive, it is USB only.=20

Any help appreciated.

Please point me to the proper webpage on the FBSD site on which it
might be to find how to rescue a system like I'm inclined to (if ever).
I couldn't find any suitable notices.

many thanks in advance,

Oliver