Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:49:59 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
To:        Sridhar M <sridharm@in.ceeyes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Help me regarding IP forwarding]

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 07:42:24PM +0530, Sridhar M wrote:
> fxp0  : ip : 10.1.6.160/24
> fxp1: ip 10.1.6.161/24
> default gateway : ip : 10.1.6.1
> gateway and routed was enabled .

routed is for dynamic routing (RIP).
You don't need it if you are doing static routing.

>  our setup is freebsd system having two ethernet cards... one ethenet
> card is connected to one host and another ehternet card is connected to
> another host k, now i am unable to ping from one host   to another host
> thru these ethernet cards. these two hosts and free BSD system  are in
> the same network.

You have the same network (10.1.6.0/24) in two physicaly splitted
ethernet segements.
Either use different networks or don't expect them to route.
There are other possibilities such as NAT or bridging, but I doubt
that's what you really want to do.

> so that was the problem, is it possible with freeBSD  ? if yes , what

I guess you are missing some basic knowledge about TCP/IP routing.
I would suggest you to buy a good book and learn.

> could be the neceessary things to be take care? what are all the steps i
> have to follow to make this packet forwrding enable? please help me, i
> will be greateful  to u for your response.......

You simply requesting an impossible thing.
It's much easier to tell you right if you would explain your intentions.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de