Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 13:07:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        Matthias Buelow <token@wicx50.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security problem with FreeBSD 2.2.1 default installation

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Matthias Buelow wrote:

> > I just checked the bugtraq archives and found an exploit for sperl4.036
> > and sperl 5.00x on FreeBSD was posted April 21!
>
> I was already wondering when I freshly installed 2.1.5 half a year ago that
> sperl 4.x was still setuid (I remember that Perl's unsafety was already
> known at least when I was still running 2.1.0 and I also remember some old
> CERT advisories mentioning freebsd ages ago).  Since then it has become
> routine for me to chmod 0 sperl/setuidperl etc. and I'm really wondering
> how there could be people left who don't know of that ancient hole?  I mean,
> even some of my clueless Linux friends know about the sperl vulnerability. ;)

In fairness, I think there were patches in FreeBSD's perl for the earlier
sperl vulnerability having to do with seteuid/setegid (see FreeBSD
SA-96:12 from June 1996 at
ftp://freebsd.org/pub/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-96%3A12.perl.asc).

The newly-fixed problems have to do with buffer overflows.

Guy Helmer, Computer Science Grad Student, Iowa State - ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer