Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:52:30 -0600
From:      Goblin <ahkbarr@yahoo.com>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extremely large (70TB) File system/server planning

NetApp filers? And what exactly is too costly? He's got enormous costs
just in doing backups of this thing, and the savings in using NetApp
filers for doing "snapshots" instead of standard backups will buy you
some disk in the end...

What is this data used for? Archival? How oft is it accessed? How much
of the data is "live"? Has he looked at something other than plain disk?

Broaden his horizens and get specifics of his needs.

On 02/05, Michael C . Wu rearranged the electrons to read:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> While talking to a friend about what his company is planning to do,
> I found out that he is planning a 70TB filesystem/servers/cluster/db.
> (Yes, seventy t-e-r-a-b-y-t-e...)
>
> Apparently, he has files that go up to 2gb each, and actually require
> such a horribly sized cluster.
>
> If he wanted a PC cluster, and having 5TB on each PC, he would have
> 350 machines to maintain.  From past experience maintaining clusters,
> I guarantee that he will have at least 1 box failing every other day.
> And I really do not think his idea of using NFS is that good. ;-)
>
> Now if we were to go to the high-end route (and probably more cost
> effective), we can pick SAN's, large Sun fileservers, or somesuch.
> I still cannot picture him being able to maintain file integrity.
>
> I say that he should attempt to split his filesystems into much
> smaller chunks, say 1TB each.  And attempt some way of having a RAID5
> array.  Mirroring or other RAID configurations would prove too costly.
> What would you guys do in this case? :)
> --
 Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT.  You feel sleepy.  Notice how
 restful it is to watch the cursor blink.  Close your eyes.  The opinions
 stated above are yours.  You cannot imagine why you ever felt otherwise.