Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 2020 16:24:32 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>, "freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-usb@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: slow USB 3.0 on -current

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 2:55 PM John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:

> Hans Petter Selasky wrote this message on Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 09:57 +0200:
> > On 2020-07-12 00:44, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm having issues getting good ethernet performance from a USB ethernet
> > > adapter (ure) under FreeBSD on an HP EliteDesk 705 G2 Mini[1].  It's an
> > > AMD PRO A10-8700B based system using the AMD A78 FCH chipset.
> > >
> > > Under FreeBSD -current (r362596), 12.1-R and 11.4-R, the RealTek USB
> > > adapter only gets around 10MB/sec performance.  During the transfer,
> > > the CPU usage is only around 3-5%, so it's definitely not CPU bound.
> > >
> > > I have tested Windows 10 and NetBSD 9.0 performance, and both provide
> > > 100MB/sec+ w/o troubles.
> > >
> > > I have attached dmesg from both FreeBSD -current and NetBSD 9.0.
> > >
> > > Any hints on how to fix this?
> > >
> > > This may be related, but I'm also having issues w/ booting when I have
> > > both a SD USB 2.0 card reader AND the ure plugged into USB 3.0 ports.
> > >
> > > If I move the SD card reader to USB 2.0, the umass device will attach
> > > and work.  I have also attached a clip of the dmesg from that
> > > happening.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else seen this issue?  Ideas or thoughts on how to resolve
> > > the performance issues?
> >
> > Can you check the output from ifconfig. What is the actual link speed. I
> > suspect it has something to do with the MII bus code/implementation.
>
> ifconfig is reporting it's 1000baseT.
>
> > Also check output from "vmstat -i" during usage to see if the number of
> > IRQ/s is low.
>
> Not sure what is considered low, but I'm seeing consistently around
> 7800 int/s for xhci0.
>
> --
>   John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 415 225 5579

This is just for clarification, but is 'MB' MBytes? In the networking world
that is what it would mean, but the context leads me to think that you mean
Mbits. It's also possible that some numbers are in bits and some in Bytes,
causing real confusion. I'm sure that 1000baseT is bits, of course.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com