Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:45:28 -0700
From:      Cotton <cottonlt@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD/XFree questions

Hey all,

First off, my *nix experience=85 I=92ve run a few different distros on =
the=20
mac and PC just checking stuff out, but never full-time =96 definitely=20=

still a newbie. I have an old P166 here that I want to set up as a=20
headless file server (mp3s, divx, documents)/web server/sendmail et al=85=20=

it won=92t be hit too hard, anyway.

Will an old P166/64mb 66mhz SDRAM run FreeBSD 5.1 with X/KDE/Gnome ok?=20=

Or should I forget about the GUI and just control it through ssh?

I was hoping XFree would be useable, so I could run some apps remotely=20=

using Apple=92s X11 on OS X. Which leads to question #2=85 how does one =
run=20
an X application remotely like that, and have just the GUI on the local=20=

box? The machines would be on the same subnet 192.168.1.x, with the=20
FreeBSD box on an Ethernet interface and the Powermac (1.25 ghz=20
duallie) on 802.11g.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cotton=