Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2022 02:09:48 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ktrace on NFSroot failing?

John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:=0A=
> On 3/10/22 8:14 AM, Mateusz Guzik wrote:=0A=
> > On 3/10/22, Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:=0A=
> >> Hi,=0A=
> >>=0A=
> >> I am having a weird issue with ktrace on an nfsroot machine:=0A=
> >>=0A=
> >> root:/tmp # ktrace sleep 1=0A=
> >> root:/tmp # kdump=0A=
> >> -559038242  Events dropped.=0A=
> >> kdump: bogus length 0xdeadc0de=0A=
> >>=0A=
> >> Anyone seen something like this before?=0A=
> >>=0A=
> >=0A=
> > I just did a quick check and it definitely fails on nfs mounts:=0A=
> > # ktrace pwd=0A=
> > /root/mjg=0A=
> > # kdump=0A=
> > -559038242  Events dropped.=0A=
> > kdump: bogus length 0xdeadc0de=0A=
> >=0A=
> > I don't have time to look into it this week though.=0A=
>=0A=
> Possibly related: core dumps are no longer working for me on NFS=0A=
> mounts.  I get a 0 byte foo.core instead of a valid core dump.=0A=
I just tried a core dump for a kernel built from main sources as of=0A=
to-day and it worked ok.=0A=
=0A=
However my userland is several months old and I can't easily upgrade=0A=
it for now.=0A=
=0A=
There was a recent ZFS problem that found its way into 13.0-p8 that=0A=
I'm pretty sure is fixed now. If you had a fairly recent server exporting=
=0A=
ZFS, that *might* explain it?=0A=
=0A=
In particular, an NFSroot uses NFSv3 and nothing has changed for=0A=
NFSv3 in a looonnggg time.=0A=
=0A=
rick=0A=
=0A=