Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:12:50 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD

[following up to -questions]

On Tuesday,  2 March 1999 at  5:18:40 +0100, Roelof Osinga wrote:
> <<The FreeBSD boot floppies contains all the on-line documentation you
> should need to be able to navigate through an installation and if it does
> not then we would like to know what you found most confusing. Send
> your comments to the FreeBSD documentation project mailing list
> <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>. It is the objective of the FreeBSD
> installation program (sysinstall) to be self-documenting enough that
> painful ``step-by-step'' guides are no longer necessary. It may take
> us a little while to reach that objective, but that is the objective!>>
>
> Well, since you asked... The thing I found completely baffling at my
> first try was that no settings whatsoever got carried from the install
> process to the definitive kernel. Since most modern systems do that,
> I was under the impression that I got myself a working system. So,
> when it turned out that was not the case I checked near everything
> *but* the kernel. Not a good start.

They should do.  What version are you trying to install?  This could
be a bug.

> Another thing you might want to improve has to do with the slice
> system. The problem with that is that you get one humonguous partition.
> Not all of which necessarily will fit below the dreaded 1024 cylinder
> boundary of the BIOS. With todays bigger disks you might want to
> draw some attention to that. Especially when CHS has been selected
> instead of LBA. As of course yours truly is wont to have.

This, of course, has nothing to do with -doc; I'm copying -questions
on the issue.

First, the standard install is three file system partitions and a swap
partition, so I don't understand how you got only one unless you asked
for it.  Secondly, not all BIOSes have this limitation any more.  And
finally, yes, I suppose we should recommend LBA addressing.  Disks are
rather a moving target at the moment, and we're just trying to keep
up.

> Some lesser things. A good thing is that several HTML docs come
> with it. So why no HTML browser like lynx?

I thought it was there.

> (X-User install). Another thing I can't quite grock is why I keep
> reading about all those new XFree86 drivers I need, like the Matrox,
> have been released, yet that somehow never seem to make it into
> whatever it is I'm downloading.  Take the Matrox, the XFree86
> website claims it is now fully supported in the 3.3.1 release. So
> how come I can't seem to find it in the FreeBSD distribution that
> claims to deliver 3.3.1? That sort of thing can be truly
> infuriating.

Possibly.  Nevertheless, the version we supply is straight from
the XFree86 project, and it does support "the Matrox" (well, the
Millenium, anyway).  This could be a documentation problem with the
XFree86 distribution.

Greg