Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2001 08:28:56 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Dennis Mathiasen <dennisma@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4-STABLE on 386?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 11:24:14AM -0500, Dennis Mathiasen wrote:
>Is it possible to install 4-STABLE on a 386DX with 8 Meg of memory?

AFAIK, no.  The 4.4-RELEASE CD states 16MB - most of this is because
the installation filesystem is an MFS unpacked off the floppy.  Once
you've installed the system, it'll run in 8MB.  Your options would
seem to be:
1) Temporarily find more memory.
2) Move the disk to another system, install it there and move it back.

If you're feeling adventurous and not planning on changing your
current partition sizes:
3) Unpack the installation MFS into your swap partition and boot into
   that, then install as normal.
4) The installworld process only uses a couple of dozen files from the
   existing userland to manage the install.  If you copy a -STABLE
   /boot hierarchy, the files needed to start NFS (ifconfig, nfsiod,
   mount_nfs) and the files needed for installworld (see the
   installworld target in /usr/src/Makefile.inc1), you should be
   able to boot single-user, start the network, mount your build
   server and do an installworkd.

For either of the latter two options, you'll need to manually update
your bootblocks to a 4.x version before rebooting.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 11:46:33AM -0500, Dennis Mathiasen wrote:
>  Which brings up the next question: is it apt to be fast
>enough running 4-STABLE to handle 1.5 Mbps running natd & firewall rules?
>I expect so, but........

I'm not so sure.  In Feb 2000, I did some tests using 3.4-STABLE on
a Pentium-133 and found that it could manage ~20Mbps (probably full
size packets) with natd and IPFW (natd being the big killer).  If you
didn't need natd, I'd be confident but I think you might have problems
trying to get 1.5Mbps though natd on a 386.  You might like to look
at IPfilter instead - it does NAT in the kernel and should be much
faster.

Peter