Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 15:18:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Steve.Gailey@db.com, nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig: changing mac address

> > Is it possible to change the mac address of an ethernet card using
> > ifconfig?
>
> Not in any 'standard' card, no.  Some cards (in SUN workstations) allow
> you to swap the EEPROM with the mac address, and I'll bet somewhere
> someone has designed a card with a programmable mac address, but
> normally it's not settable.

Yeah, we've got some Dy-4 m68k-based single board computers that
allow the lower 3 bytes of the MAC address to be programmed.  It's
kind of annoying though, because the lower 3 bytes are always
set to 0 and we have to uniquely set them for each board that
we deliver to our customer.

The MAC addresses were meant to be unique; why do you want the
ability to change them?  So you can make M$ viruses without
anyone figuring it out who made them ;-)?

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com