Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 95 19:47 WET
From:      uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Frank Durda IV)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, rb@gid.co.uk, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone keen to help me get a Phillips CDD 521 Recorder working?

[0]However, a device that responds identically to all eight LUNs on a given
[0]TARGET ID is most likely simply not checking the LUN field in the
[0]command header, and is thus fundamentally busted, to use your words 8)

[1]Unfortunately, in the rarified atmosphere of the CD writer market (soon
[1]to get less so, I'm sure, but I still have to wait my turn) you need
[1]to also take whatever you can get.. :-)

Actually, I have an *ancient* Sony CD-W1/CD-E1 CD-ROM burner (encoder and
burner are in separate units and it all cost $20K in 1991 plus $5K for
software), and it responds on ALL the LUNs under a single target ID to
certain commands.  I recall that we encountered this behavior on a
device/media-type query command.

The Sony manual explains why: The system supports multiple CD-ROM writers
under the encoder (up to 8) and when writing, the host only writes the
sectors to the first LUN and it passes the data in EFM format on an optical
bus to the other writers.  (All writers burn the same image.)  But certain
commands targeted to the other LUNs for status and other enquiries return
information specific for a given writer.

For example, the burning software can detect and report a servo error on LUN 3
(writer 3) but that recording is progressing nicely on LUNs 0, 1, 2 and 4.

Commands directly related to controller or writing activities will
respond on all LUNs regardless of additional writers being present.
Commands specific to individual writers (like head position status) return
information on that writer, including ready/not ready status.

Subsequently, referencing LUNs 1-7 when there is no hardware may return
confusing/conflicting information to commands, based on how Sony
categorized the commands (controller command vs lun command).

Perhaps this explains the behavior you are seeing in the burner
you have and this type of action probably confuses our probing routines.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"Knowledge is power, so be
or uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Fastest Route)| sure to give some away today.
...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem               | Doing this annoys Microsoft."
...decvax!fw.ast.com!nemesis!uhclem         | (C) 1995 FDIV