Date:      Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:24:25 -0600
From:      Josh Hansen <lists@josh.aros.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C compiler

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 01:18:48PM -0600, Josh Hansen wrote:
>

>>Bill Moran wrote:

>>>5.2.1 is not a strong performer.  It's ALPHA code.
>>>
>>>If you want to do performance testing, either use 4.10, or work with the
>>>5.3 BETAs.  5.2.1 isn't supposed to be fast yet.
>>>

>>I really don't think the problem is that simple.  How about either
>>giving him a real answer or none at all?
>>

>It's hard to give a good answer to a bad question :)
>
>In order to accurately diagnose the problem we need a way to repeat
>it, or at least a full description of what was tried (including source
>code and details of the benchmark measurements).  Otherwise, all we
>can do is guess what might be going on.
>
>Kris

 Your'e right of course, there weren't many details originally given,
and the answer could be that simple.  I do realize that my first post
was out of line and I apologized to Bill off-list.  I just thought that:

A: With such a lack of important details in the first post, blaming the
problem on the FreeBSD version was a bit pre-mature, and

B: Even with the speed issues in 5.2.1, 50% is quite a large difference,
so I thought it was likely that there was something else going on, but
of course, like you said, we would need more information to determine
what.  Also, the original poster should definitely be using 5.3 instead
for this thing.

-Josh