Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:26:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral)
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New article

> There are some errors, though... :-)
>
> You say "make depend all install" once, which is incorrect.

ACK!  Please pass me the pointy hat, I've written this correctly
elsewhere.

> The claim about complexity of a kernel configuration tool is also
> completely groundless. There isn't a kernel configuration tool for
> FreeBSD because no one can be bothered to produce one, and that's that.
> There is no technical obstacles to it.

This was the general consensus I got from developers who read the
article.  Also, I think a configuration tool would be far too complex,
from a user POV rather than a developer one (although developers would
go nuts trying to keep it in sync with the kernel, IMHO).  Who wants
to walk through a multitiered menu when you can just vi & go?

> Alas, we have been evolving to allow mostly dispensing with a kernel
> configuration file altogether.

Then where are we going?