Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 14:44:18 -0400
From:      Chris Conrad <chconrad@syr.edu>
To:        Tony <tbrock@mail.phoenix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GNOME: Does anyone use it?

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 08:32:00AM -0500, Tony wrote:
> I see many screenshots from the Linux community where people use this glo=
rified
> toolbar but from my experience, it's most reliable feature is creating .c=
ore
> files.
>=20
> I've compiled and recompiled this port from the ground up several
> different times over the past 9 months and I never can seem to find the
> functionality of it.   (recompiling the latest port dependancies, reinsta=
lling
> etc.)
>=20
> I load up a window-manager, start an xterm and type "panel" at which poin=
t I
> get the main GNOME toolbar.  If I try to configure it, it core dumps, if =
I do
> most anything it core dumps.  It never wants to switch away from enlighte=
nment
> being the default manager etc.
>=20
> My question is this: Are any people in the FreeBSD community using the GN=
OME
> port happily?  Did I skip a fundamental /home/userdir setup script? =20
>=20
> It's not important that I get it working, I just like to know why things =
aren't
> working as they should.
>=20
> Tony

I've used and tested the GNOME from about version 0.30, and yes it
does have some problems.  Unfortunately, however, most of the major
work on the GNOME occurs on Linux.  I have a Redhat 6.1 box, and on
that machine, I have never had the GNOME crash on me.  I don't think I
recal even having a GNOME app crash on me.  On FreeBSD however, the
GNOME is just miserable.  I think the best thing to do in this case is
to whip out your editor of choice, load up gdb and start working thru
all the core files and see if we can't get the GNOME to as usable a
state on FreeBSD as it is on Linux.

Chris
--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--