Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 1995 11:16:11 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rmail and brain-dead mail systems .. patch enclosed

  The angle-bracket form, as produced by the patch, becomes a place-holder to
  convince sendmail to do the Right Thing by producing ..

  	"/usr/sbin/sendmail -f <> dest_addr".

  sendmail then courteously substitutes the string "MAILER-DAEMON" for the
  null address and everything works. As I stated, this *is* Eric's "standard"
  patch for it .. what other options are there ?

Ahh, I looked more carefully at the source code.  You're absolutely right.
The way I read it from you was going the "other" way, that mail was coming
in via a remote SMTP site and you wanted the delivery agent to mung the
headers.  I was completely full of shit, sorry...I'm used to the bad old
days when /bin/mail and /bin/rmail were the same piece of code.

What does make me curious is how does rmail enter into the picture at all?

Who is invoking it?

Does the MS mail gateway software run on a FreeBSD machine and feed its mail
into sendmail via /bin/rmail?