Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:08:04 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        "Bob Perry" <rperry4@earthlink.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dmesg Analysis

On Monday 24 March 2003 09:08 pm, Bob Perry wrote:
> I recently upgraded/reinstalled 4.7 RELEASE and apparently lost use of my
> SCSI tape backup system.  The dmesg command indicates that FreeBSD found
> the controller and tape but I don't understand much more than that.
>
> Does anyone know where I might find some documentation which would explain
> output resulting from running dmesg?  For instance, one of the lines reads:
>     sa0 at adv0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0

many (most?) of the items in dmesg are device drivers and have manpages.
so first read man man  then try things like
man -aw sa     you'll see:
/usr/share/man/cat8/sa.8.gz (source: /usr/share/man/man8/sa.8.gz)
/usr/share/man/man4/sa.4.gz
 which tells you there are two man pages for sa.  one is what you are looking
for, one is not, so use
man 4 sa  to see the right one.

repeat that for all the things in dmesg and you'll learn a lot of what you're
looking for.

This can potentially throw you off by some things that have the same name and
are not device drivers.  eg man 4 fd  wil not get you the floppy driver, but
man 4 fdc will.

hth,

Tim